As you probably know, healthy comfort food is my OBSESSION, and chili and cornbread has to be of my top 5 all time favorites.
I've shared a couple of chili recipes already, (Chicken and White Bean Chili, Chicken and Chipotle Chili) but not my go-to classic recipe! I probably make this simple healthy chili at least 4 times between September and April.
You can find almost all the ingredients at Aldi for less than $10 and it makes a huge pot. Chili is one of those things that gets even better the longer it marinates, so this recipe is perfect to make on Sunday evening and you're all set for lunches or dinner all week!
This classic chili is inspired by my mom's original recipe. She makes the best chili, and in grad school I finally asked her for her secrets! The secret ingredient is CURRY POWDER! It makes a huge difference and adds an extra layer of flavor to the simple combo of ingredients. If you're a fellow chili lover, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try.
ANNA'S SIMPLE HEALTHY CHILI
(1 green, 1 red, 1/2 yellow on the 21 Day Fix)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 package ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 large (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 or 2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 cans (14 oz) beans...black beans or kidney beans work best
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping T chili powder (add more to taste)
- 1 heaping teaspoon curry powder
- Extra veggies like celery, bell pepper, whatever you have in the fridge!
- Your fave toppings: cilantro, lime, cheese, tortilla crispies (I like to bake my own chips), plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, etc.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic (and any additional veggies) until soft. Add the turkey and cook through. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer until everything is hot! The longer you simmer, the better it will taste.
This is also a great recipe for the crockpot! Just dump all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours.